The society met at the St Thomas’ Centre for a talk by Paul Staniforth on Development Management and Conservation within the Borough. Although understandably this could cover only items within the public domain he managed to include the major town centre developments, and submitted affably to some fairly tough questioning, particularly on that perennial favourite topic, Chesterfield Market. He referred extensively to the list of heritage assets maintained by the Council, and details of this and other aspects of conservation can be found on the link at the bottom of the page.
Paul’s talk was followed by the AGM.
Chesterfield – Conservation and Heritage
On Saturday we were at Chesterfield Museum for the annual Local History Fair. It was an excellent event, and we thank the Museum for hosting it. Here are a few photos from the day.
As it was the first day of the Chatsworth Road Exhibition at the Museum we have reprinted the 1996 Brampton Trail booklet. Produced by the Brampton Living History Group and published by the Civic Society, full details can be found in the previous post. You can link to it directly by clicking on this picture of Bradbury Hall, one of the fine drawings in the guide.
This little booklet was first published in 1996. In the succeeding 22 years, Brampton has changed beyond recognition. Nevertheless, much still remains, and the trail is a valuable guide to the area, while the illustrations are reminder of what has now gone.
The Civic Society has republished it with a new preface by Philip Riden to coincide with the current Chatsworth Road exhibition in Chesterfield Museum. It is priced at £3, and copies will be available for purchase at the AGM.
Click on the specimen pages to see them at full size.
The Derbyshire Times has published a comprehensive report on the history of Hurst House and the CSF in this week’s paper. To quote our Chairman it is an ‘excellent piece’.
Read the article here
For many years the future of Wentworth Woodhouse has been uncertain. The recent acquisition by the Wentworth Woodhouse Preservation Trust, and a substantial restoration grant from the Government has hopefully secured its future.
On Tuesday 24th July members of the Society took advantage of the recent opening of the property to the public and visited for a conducted tour of the State Rooms. As befits the largest privately owned residence in the UK, they are magnificent. A selection of photographs from the day can be seen in the gallery below. Click on any photo to enlarge it.
Further details of Wentworth Woodhouse and visiting can be found here .
The Civic Society had a stand at the fair at the fair on Saturday on what turned out to be a very well-attended day, despite the feared competition from the Royal wedding. Our Chairman had a useful introduction and discussion with the new Mayor of Chesterfield, and also managed to oversee the Victoria County History and Derbyshire Record Society tables.
Here are a few photos of the day.
Well known , both to Chesterfield residents and further afield as a characteristic image of Chesterfield , the Black and White frontage of Knifesmithgate is well worthy of preservation .
Currently however , the upper floors are empty , and their future unknown. The issue is that the building belongs to a London property management company, and nothing is known of their plans .
Thank you Eileen for these memories of the ‘Vic’ as we all called the Victoria Ballroom . She captures the central part it played in our lives for those of us who grew up in the 1960s .
Just click on the link below the photo to read the full story .
The Good Times , Some Memories of the Vic’s ‘Top Rank’ Days ..
It was good to just wander around Chesterfield the other Wednesday and see how popular the Wheel is mid-week . Chesterfield is still a market town , and all the roads seem to lead here eventually . If only on the way to the Library .
But , the heart of the town is here , and still attracts after centuries .
Some fifty Civic Society members and guests joined the Mayor of Chesterfield, Coun. Maureen Davenport, and the Mayoress, Mrs Liz Archer, at the Ringwood Hall Hotel in Brimington on Wednesday 17 January for a ceremony to mark the unveiling of a plaque commemorating Charles Paxton Markham, who lived at Ringwood between 1908 and his death in 1926.
Among the guests were Mr Toby Markham, a descendant of C.P. Markham’s brother, Sir Arthur Markham Bt MP, and his wife, and Mrs Halcyon Palmer, a great niece of C.P. Markham’s sister Geraldine. The Leader of the Borough Council, Coun. Mrs Tricia Gilby, Coun. Terry Gilby and Coun. Barry Bingham were also present.
Ringwood Hall was built in 1829–30 by George Hodgkinson Barrow, the owner of Staveley Ironworks, and was later occupied by his son Richard Barrow. After C.P. Markham died, the House became a social club for Staveley staff. Having stood empty for some time, it has been restored in recent years as a luxury hotel.
After the Mayor unveiled the plaque, the owners of Ringwood Hall, Mr and Mrs Heyer, entertained the party to an excellent lunch. The event concluded with a short speech of thanks to the hotel by the Civic Society chairman, Philip Riden.
In the spring, the society hopes to install a plaque at 55 West Bars, the first large store built by Chesterfield and District Co-operative Society, which opened in 1903.