For many years this has been reputed to be an early English Bowling Green, possibly dating to the 13th Century (indeed it indicates this on the plaque). There is no documentary evidence for this claim .
The first mention of a ‘bowling alley’ on this site is found in the corporation order book for 1651. A continuous history can be traced from that date and the site is still in use by Chesterfield Bowling Club.
A full history of the site can be found in ‘Chesterfield Streets and Houses’ (Riden, Leteve & Sheppard 2019, pp 68-71).
This is one of a few plaques that we would like to update with better information.