The Chesterfield & District Co-operative Provident Society Limited was founded in 1894 with the first premises in New Square Chesterfield.
The West Bars premises as opened in May 1903.
25th March – Premises procured in New Square
12th April – Registered under the Industrial and Provident Societies Act 1876
28th April – Opening Day for Grocery business
30th April – A public tea and meeting held
29th September – First Report and Balance Sheet presented :
Sales : £1,268
Dividend to members : 1s in the £1
Members : 114
8th October – Business premises transferred from New Square to West Bars
18th June – Formation of Women’s Guild
16th February – First order placed for 1 dozen Co-operative news weekly
8th October – Educational Fund formed
15th August – Land purchased at West Bars
November – Donation towards Queen’s Park extension
13th January – Quarterly Meeting. Committee empowered to deal with the building of the proposed new Stores in West Bars.
25th March – No 1 Branch Whittington Moor opened
20th May – New Central premises in West Bars opened for business
13th July Membership reached 1,000
20th September – Formal opening for Grocery and Drapery business at Brimington (No 2 Branch)
10th July – Amalgamation of Whittington and District Co-operative Society comprising two shops, these being Nos 3 and 4 branches.
January – Membership 3,000
February – No 5 Branch agreed at Brampton
7th October – Special Shareholders’ Meeting approves amalgamation with the Hasland Society
28th October Alteration of name of Society to “Chesterfield and District Co-operative Society Limited”
8th January – Members agree the amalgamation of Pilsley Society
24th November – Land purchased in Elder Way
12th April – Society Party under the constitution and affiliated to the Co-operative Party formed
September – Membership reached 17,000
January – First Committee of the Co-operative Party local Committee elected
March – Highest figure recorded in the cash sales of the Society – £625,897
Thanks to the Co-operative Party for this timeline