The information in this plaque is incorrect – it is to be replaced in 2023.
Although unmistakably the work of Thompson , and contemporary with the original station building of 1840 a certain amount of mystery has surrounded this building for many years. The original station was south of the present site , and Corporation Street did not exist at that time . Some well-studied railway historians doubt that this building originally existed in this spot . The entry in ‘Britain’s Historic Railway Buildings’ (Oxford University Press, 2003) reads :
‘Its purpose is uncertain . A contemporary map shows “machine house” on the approximate site , presumably a weighing machine, yet the building’s size suggests a dwelling, perhaps for the station master.’
An article has been published in the Midland Railway Society Journal number 67 detailing the recent research. It is now certain that this building was not part of the 1840 station. It may well, however, have been constructed from stonework saved when the original station building was taken down.
The information in this plaque is not, therefore, now correct.
We are pleased to announce that as January 2023, East Midlands Railway, through their community Fund, have agree to finance replacement of this plaque.
The building is grade II listed.
Page last updated 19 January 2023.